India can be a very dry place during the winters and a very humid place during the summers. However, despite working and staying in an air-conditioned environment, my skin remained dry even during the summers. The air-conditioned environment further added to my skin woes and caused a new set of skin problems for me such as chapped skin and flakes on the skin. My skin started looking dull and I didn’t feel like going out.
These problems made my skin very itchy and it was really difficult for me to focus on my work and cope with my skin problems at the same time. Even after trying lots of beauty products for my skin type, nothing gave me the promised results. By this time, I had tried every option that was available in the market. I even consulted a few dermatologists and they suggested using some medicated creams and also advised some chemical peels and treatments. I did try the creams but they did not help. It pained to see other women with beautiful and radiant skin in the market and in the office.
I was beginning to lose hope and thought that my dream of getting glowing and healthy skin would never come true. However, one day I read about Ayurveda and decided to try it out since it has no side effects. I was familiar with Ayurveda and that it is completely natural but I didn’t know that it held the key to my dreams.
After much research and testing, I realized that it was these 3 things which finally started to make my skin glow-
1) Chia Seeds
I always knew that Chia Seeds were a power food that could help with weight-loss, but after my research, I realized that these tiny seeds also have various benefits for the skin. Chia seeds have been used for skin treatments since ancient times. The best thing about these seeds is that they taste delicious even when consumed in the raw form.
Coming back to glowing skin, this is how I incorporated chia seeds into my skincare routine-
- Take 1 tablespoon of chia seeds and mix them with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix them well.
- The coconut oil will be liquid above 25 degrees, so freeze this mixture for about 15 minutes to get a jelly-like consistency.
- Apply this mixture onto your face and gently massage your skin for 5 minutes and then wash it off.
2) Saffron (Kesar)
I have always loved the lovely color and taste that saffron lends to any dish that it is added to. It is so calming to see the saffron strands twirling in milk and water and slowly imparting their color to it. It is a well-known fact that saffron is one of the most expensive spices that are available in the market. So it was no surprise for me when I found out that saffron is used for skin care as well.
A spice as expensive as saffron is bound to have a host of benefits and glowing skin had to be one of them, so this is how I used saffron to get glowing skin-
- Take a few saffron strands and mix it with a 1 tablespoon of honey.
- After mixing them together massage your face with it for a few minutes, a large amount of it will be absorbed by the skin.
- Wash this mixture off your face after keeping it on for at least 5 minutes. The hydrating and healing quality of honey and saffron makes your skin glow.
3) Sandalwood (Chandan)
I love the smell of sandalwood and in Indian culture and heritage, sandalwood is believed to be very sacred. Also known as ‘chandan’, sandalwood has a cooling effect on the skin.
Just applying the sandalwood paste on my face made me feel so good and relaxed. When I washed my face and opened my eyes I saw that unmistakable and much-coveted glow on my face and I couldn’t have been happier! Here’s how I used sandalwood for my skin-
- Make a paste of the sandalwood by grinding it. Mix this paste with some rose water.
- After mixing them together, wash your face first with water and then apply this paste on your face, neck and other exposed skin. Let it dry.
- After it dries, wash it off with water and you will get a beautiful glow on your face.
Following Ayurveda and as a result, incorporating chia seeds, saffron and sandalwood into my skincare routine was probably one of the best things that I have done for my skin!
When I reflect on my struggle for getting glowing skin, I actually start laughing. While I was running to stores in search of the perfect beauty products for my skin, the most effective and most natural ingredients to achieve this was sitting right there, in my kitchen pantry!
Image Source – Pixabay, Pexels, Wikimedia Commons.