THENGAI ARISI PAYASAM | RICE COCONUT KHEER
Thengai Arisi Payasam is rice and coconut cooked with jaggery and coconut milk. It's a kind of kheer where the rice is soaked and then coarsely grounded with coconut and later flavored with jaggery syrup and topped with fried nuts and dry fruits. Thengai Payasam is made during the Tamil New Year. Among many payasam recipes, this thengai payasam happens to be my favorite during the festive season. I often use to enjoy this delicacy sent by our Tamil neighbors but never got a chance to learn to cook this. Finally got the recipe at Sharmi's passion and thought of giving it a try. I am so happy that the payasam turned out exactly what i use to have long back in my childhood.
- Prep Time10Minutes
- Cooking Time30Minutes
How to make Coconut Milk
How to make Ghee
- Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
- Raw rice - 3-4 tbsp (soaked for minimum 30 mins)
- Jaggery - 1/2 cup crushed
- Thick coconut milk - 1/4 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cashews - 8-10 broken and fried
- Raisins - 10 fried
- In a large bowl, soak jaggery in water till immersing level only. Crush and mix it well till it dissolved in water.
- Heat it till bubbles start appearing. Turn off the gas and let it cool.
- Pass it through a sieve to strain the impurities. Keep the strained jaggery syrup aside.
- Take the soaked rice and coconut in a mixer grinder jar and grind it by adding little water to make a coarse paste and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan / vessel , boil water and add the rice and coconut paste and let it cook in slow flame.
- As soon as the rice gets cooked and you can see it thickening and taking a porridge consistency, add jaggery syrup and keep stirring.
- Let the payasam cook for another few minutes and turn off the gas and let it cool for 5-6 mins.
- Now add ghee, coconut milk and fried cashew and raisins along with cardamom powder and give a quick stir.
- Serve hot / warm or chilled !!!