How To Make Kashmiri Dum Aloo
An authentic recipe, which pairs up beautifully with roti/naan.....
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Kashmiri Dum Aloo
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Potatoes - boiled and peeled 250gms
- Onions - 3 medium sized finely chopped
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri dry red chillies - 3
- (soaked in hot water for 10min and grind it into a paste along with one garlic pod)
- Kashmiri red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts handful
- (soaked in hot water for 10min and grinded into a paste)
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Ginger powder - 1 tsp
- Curd - one cup ( or 180gms) beaten
- Garam masala powder -1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
- coriander seeds - 1tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- green cardamom - 5 small
- Green coriander - one small bunch finely chopped
- Ginger juliens - 1/2tsp
- Mustard Oil - 1/2 cup (slightly less)
- Water -1 Cup
Steps to make Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Boil baby potatoes in some water with salt or else cut regular potatoes into half and boil them. Cool them. Cut into cubes if using regular potatoes.
- Deep fry the potatoes in oil till golden brown and take them on to a kitchen towel and keep aside.
- Take a pan add oil, after oil is hot add one tsp. of fennel seeds and then add onions, fry them till golden brown in color.
- Now add cashew nut paste along with turmeric, red chilli paste, red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, ginger powder and then saute well.
- Add cup water and then cover it with lid and cook on low for 5 to 7 minutes or till oil separates.
- Now add beaten curd, saute well and then add 1tbsp. of fennel, coriander, cumin and green cardamom mix powder, green coriander and ginger and again close the lid and put on dum for 5 to 7 minutes and its done!
My Tip: After adding the red chilli paste, check for the spiciness before adding the red chilli powder. You can always increase the chilli powder if you want spicy gravy. For preparing the curry you can always reduce the amount of oil (as required)