How To Make Jaggery peanut brittle / Chikki /Palli patti !!
Peanut brittle is a crunchy munchy snack enjoyed by one and all. A must made dish during the festival of kites i.e..Sankranti/ Pongal !!
- Prep Time20mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Jaggery peanut brittle / Chikki /Palli patti !!
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Jaggery peanut brittle / Chikki /Palli patti !!
- 1 cup Peanuts (groundnuts)
- 3/4 cup Jaggery, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon + for greasing Ghee (Clarified Butter)
Steps to make Jaggery peanut brittle / Chikki /Palli patti !!
- Roast peanuts in a pan (preferably heavy based pan) on a medium flame for approx. 5-6 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent burning. Let roasted peanuts cool for 3-4 minutes. Remove its skin while they are little warm and break them into halves.
- Grease surface of counter top or reverse side of a big plate and a rolling pin (belan) with ghee.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan over low flame. Add jaggery and water and stir continuously on low to medium flame.
- When jaggery dissolves, stir and cook for approx 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Check consistency of dissolved jaggery by dropping a small drop of it in a bowl filled with water. If jaggery drop turns into a solid drop and sits at the bottom of bowl, then it is cooked otherwise cook it for some more time and repeat the checking process.
- Once the required texture is attained turn off flame and add peanut halves. Mix until all peanut halves are coated with dissolved jaggery.
- Pour mixture over previously greased surface. Quickly roll the mixture flat using rolling pin. Keep it’s thickness around 1/3-inch.
- Make approx 2 inch apart parallel horizontal and vertical cuts with knife while spread is still hot.
- When cooled, break it into pieces and store in airtight container and enjoy it whenever you like.
My Tip: Do not over cook or under cook the jaggery syrup as the chikki texture totally depends on this. A hard ball is perfect for crunchy brittle..