How To Make Chettinad Vendakkai Mandi/Chettinad Lady Finger Curry
This is an authentic Chettinad dish prepared usually with lady finger or else simply with onions. Rice washed water is called 'Mandi' which is the main ingredient for making this curry, and this curry goes for an easy breezy cooking process. A wonderful curry to relish with rice and papads. You can add dried legumes like field beans or sundried mangoes aka manga vathal in this simple curry which is completely optional.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time15mins
Ingredients to make Chettinad Vendakkai Mandi/Chettinad Lady Finger Curry
- 10 nos Lady Fingers (chopped as medium pieces)
- 2 nos Onions (chopped)
- 1 no Tomato (chopped)
- 6 nos Garlic pods
- 2 nos Green chillies (slit opened)
- 3 cups Rice washed water
- 1/2 cup Tamarind water
- 3 nos Sundried mangoes
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 2 nos Dry red chillies
- few curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- oil as required
Steps to make Chettinad Vendakkai Mandi/Chettinad Lady Finger Curry
- Soak the sundried mangoes in hot water for an hour. Heat oil, fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the chopped onions, garlic, chopped tomatoes, saute for few minutes. Now add the ladies finger pieces, saute again everything for few more minutes.
- Finally add the chopped tomatoes, curry leaves, chopped green chillies, turmeric powder and cook everything again for few more minutes. Add the rice washed water, soaked dry mango pieces, salt and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the tamarind water, cook everything on medium flame until the veggies gets well cooked. Curry will be neither watery nor too thick. Serve hot with rice and papads.