How To Make Lotus Stem Curry - Thamaraithandu PuliKuzhambu
A unique and special curry from my Grandma’s kitchen. My grandma usually prepares this Pulikuzhambu with other vegetables but I have added Lotus stem in her signature dish. This Pulikuzhambu neither needs any sauté nor constant monitoring. Though the procedure seems to be lengthy but an easy one, a must try recipe.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Lotus Stem Curry - Thamaraithandu PuliKuzhambu
Ingredients to make Lotus Stem Curry - Thamaraithandu PuliKuzhambu
- 15 Sliced pieces of Louts Root
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind –Gently press tamarind in 1tbsp measuring spoon, that should be a size of a small goose berry
- 2½ tbsp Sambar Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 10 Garlic pods
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp Gingelly/Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Thallipu vadagam – this can be replaced with ½ tsp of Mustard seeds, ½ tsp Urad dhal, ½ tsp Cumin seeds and ¼ tspFenugreek
- curry leaves - a few
- To grind:
- ½ cup scrapped Coconut
- 15 Small Onions
- ½ tsp black Pepper Corns
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 green chilli
- 1 small size tomato
Steps to make Lotus Stem Curry - Thamaraithandu PuliKuzhambu
- Wash and clean Lotus stem from mud and dirt. Now scrape the outer skin as we do for radish. Cut the stem into slices. Raw lotus root will start to darken so, after cutting immediately put them into a bowl of water.
- Extract tamarind pulp and transfer to a big bowl. To the extract add Sambar powder, Sliced lotus stems, garlic pods, one unsliced chilli, required salt and keep aside.
- Grind coconut in a blender to a fine paste by adding water.
- To ground coconut, add small onion, green chilli, cumin seeds, pepper corns, tomato, 7 curry leaves and press the whipper button thrice so that the ingredients are coarsely mashed.
- Now add the ground ingredients into the tamarind Bowl. At this stage taste the mixture for salt, spiciness, Do the additions at this stage.
- In a kadai, add Gingelly oil, add the talllipu vadagam or the optional tempering ingredients, Once the mustards splutter add Curry leaves. Transfer the Mixture to the kadai and Bring to boil on a high heat.
- Keep stirring the curry till it reaches to boiling state.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Let the curry be on medium flame closed with a lid for 12 minutes as lotus stems take time to cook.
- Now add coriander leaves and remove from heat. Serve with rice or chappathi.