Instant Oats Idli | Oats Steamed Cakes
Break fast is the most important past of the meal, and it’s believed that eating a healthy, heavy and balanced breakfast is very important. Oats is one of the best choice for break fast to kick start your day in a healthy way. If you are some one like me who finds it boring to eat oats porridge, then our Indian-ized oatmeal avatars like oats upma, oats dosa, oats idli, oats pongal, oats bisi bele bath, … will excite you.
- Prep Time0Minutes
- Cooking Time30Minutes
How to make Ghee
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- Oats – 1 1/2 cups
- Upma Rava/Sooji – 1/2 cup
- Curd(yougurt) – 2 1/2 cups
- Carrots – 1 grated
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Eno salt/Fruit Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering-
- Oil/ghee – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig chopped
- Asafoetida/hing – 1 pinch
- Green chilies – 2 nos finely chopped
- Channa dal/Bengal Gram – 1 tbspn
- Cashew nuts – 10 nuts broken
- 1. Heat oil in a vessel. Add mustard seeds and as they begin to splutter, add channa dal and let the dal turn golden brown. Add chopped green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a few seconds. Keep aside.
- 2. Dry roast the oats till fragrant and slightly golden. Grind to a fine powder, consistency of rava.
- 3. In the same pan, dry roast rava until it changes it’s color to light brown.
- 4. In a wide pan, add oats powder and roasted rava. Add tempered ingredients, grated carrots and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- 5. Add curds, salt, and mix well. Add just enough water(if required) to make it to a thick batter. The consistency should be slightly loose than a idli batter. Set it aside for 10-15 mins. Next add eno salt and mix again.
- 6. Grease idli plates with oil and pour the batter into each depression of the idli plate.
- 7. Steam for 13-15 minutes. Serve warm with chutney of your choice.
- Serve it with spicy onion-tomato chutney
My Tip: MY Notes- 1. Using oats in idli recipe can be little tricky due to it’s sticky texture. Roasting it well will remove some of the stickiness. 2. You can use same measurement of cooking soda instead of eno salt/fruit salt. 3. Adding grated vegetables like carrots, cabbage, or even capsicum will enhance the taste and nutrient values of the idlis. 4. Butter milk can be substituted with water while preparing batter. 5. You can even mix all the dry ingredients of the mix and store it in air tight container in fridge for about few months.