How To Make Instant Oats Idli | Oats Steamed Cakes
Break fast is the most important past of the meal, and it’s believed that eating a healthy, heavy and balanced breakfast is very important. Oats is one of the best choice for break fast to kick start your day in a healthy way. If you are some one like me who finds it boring to eat oats porridge, then our Indian-ized oatmeal avatars like oats upma, oats dosa, oats idli, oats pongal, oats bisi bele bath, … will excite you.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Instant Oats Idli | Oats Steamed Cakes
How to make Ghee
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
Ingredients to make Instant Oats Idli | Oats Steamed Cakes
- Oats – 1 1/2 cups
- Upma Rava/Sooji – 1/2 cup
- Curd(yougurt) – 2 1/2 cups
- Carrots – 1 grated
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Eno salt/Fruit Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- For Tempering-
- Oil/ghee – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig chopped
- Asafoetida/hing – 1 pinch
- Green chilies – 2 nos finely chopped
- Channa dal/Bengal Gram – 1 tbspn
- Cashew nuts – 10 nuts broken
Steps to make Instant Oats Idli | Oats Steamed Cakes
- 1. Heat oil in a vessel. Add mustard seeds and as they begin to splutter, add channa dal and let the dal turn golden brown. Add chopped green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida and saute for a few seconds. Keep aside.
- 2. Dry roast the oats till fragrant and slightly golden. Grind to a fine powder, consistency of rava.
- 3. In the same pan, dry roast rava until it changes it’s color to light brown.
- 4. In a wide pan, add oats powder and roasted rava. Add tempered ingredients, grated carrots and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- 5. Add curds, salt, and mix well. Add just enough water(if required) to make it to a thick batter. The consistency should be slightly loose than a idli batter. Set it aside for 10-15 mins. Next add eno salt and mix again.
- 6. Grease idli plates with oil and pour the batter into each depression of the idli plate.
- 7. Steam for 13-15 minutes. Serve warm with chutney of your choice.
- Serve it with spicy onion-tomato chutney