Coconut kheer and Caramel Pana cotta with pistachio praline
Panna cotta is an Italian dessert mainly made with cream, egg yolk, honey. When blended together and baked in a bain marie…this cooked cream is what one gets. However, there are alternative recipes suggesting using gelatine to set the panna cotta. What I made today followed the alternative technique of creating the dessert rather than the original way. Here is a different way of presenting our traditional kheer(milk pudding) in a panna cotta way ! I have used Jamie Oliver's Caramel recipe for the caramel used here(He asks to use sea salt in his recipe..I haven't used it).
- Prep Time30Minutes
- Cooking Time60Minutes
- 1 cup of fresh grated coconut
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of milk
- Cardamom powder a pinch
- Chopped pistachios 1 tbsp and some roughly chopped
- Agar-Agar 1.5 teaspoons
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 120ml double cream
- 25g unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- 100 ml water
- 1/2 cup of castor sugar
- Lemon juice 1 tsp
- 1/4 cup pistachio crushed roughly
- In a thick bottom pan, heat the milk. Add the coconut to the milk. Stir gently. Simmer, stirring occasionally. The milk is reduced by about half. This may take a while.
- Add the sugar. If you are in a hurry. Just use condensed milk to get the consistency you wish. Mix in the cardamom powder. Add the roughly chopped pistachio. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- In a small pan, add agar-agar flakes. Pour in 1/4 cup of cold water. Heat this mix till the agar-agar dissolves in it. Add this to the kheer(pudding) we prepared. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture in a mould or glasses you wish to set panna cotta in. I divided the mix in 3 wine glasses. Set aside.
- As it cools, the mix tends to set. If you wish you may place it in the fridge to set quickly. I waited till the kheer had cooled down completely before placing the glasses in the fridge.
- In a separate pan prepare a caramel. In a pan, add in water and sugar. Swirl till the sugar dissolves. Let this mix bubble vigorously. Turn the heat off. To this add the double cream, butter and vanilla extract. Keep whisking as you mix.
- This can be stored in a jar.
- To 4 tbsp of caramel, add in water- agar-agar solution prepared with 1/4 tsp of agar agar flakes.
- When the kheer sets in the glass. Divide the caramel mixed with agar-agar and top on the kheer. Set it aside in the fridge.
- To make the praline: In a pan add 1/2 cup of castor sugar. Heat the pan.
- The heat will start melting the sugar. Do not stir the sugar until almost all the sugar melts. It should turn into a pale brown colour.
- Squeeze a teaspoon of lemon juice. One needs to be very quick and careful while working with sugar. It can harden quickly or even burn.Give it a quick stir and add the pistachio powder.
- Then spoon on a silicon-lined baking sheet or greased plate. Leave to cool for a minute or so
- Cut into wedges with a sharp knife.
- Place the praline in each of your set kheer glass and sprinkle some more of pistachio. You may even unmould the panna cotta on a plate by turning over from the setting mould and serve.
- Here is my take on traditional naralachi kheer (coconut kheer)
My Tip: Alternatively you may use condensed milk 1/2 cup. In such a case reduce the quantity of milk and sugar can be done without. Condensed milk adds to the consistency as well as the sweetness to the pudding.