RIPE MANGO GOJJU ( CURRY )
- Ripe mangoes( small sour Variety ) – 3-4 nos
- Green chilli – 4-5 nos ( your preference )
- Jaggery –small lemon size or more
- Salt to taste
- TO TEMPER :
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Red chilli – 1 ; broken
- Hing a big pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash the mangoes well under running water. Using a knife remove its tip & lightly make 2-3 vertical cuts on mango. Take a pan , cook them using 2-3 cups of water, until they are soft and cooked through.
- Once the mangoes cool, peel them.You'll be able to peel the mango easily using your fingers. Put the peel inside the pan with water used for cooking .Keep the whole mangoes with the pulp in another bowl .
- Next nicely squeeze the peel in water to extract any mango pulp sticking to it. Later discard the peel.
- Transfer the whole mango into the pan. Add chilli, salt and jaggery .Using your hands nicely squeeze mango and crush chilli.
- Don't discard the mango seeds. It can be dipped into the sauce and eaten ( read it as licked ) to the hearts content.
- Taste test and check the consistency. Add water to get desired consistency . This gojju will be medium consistency and little spicy , tangy and sweetish . So adjust everything accordingly.
- Take a small pan . Add coconut oil . Once hot add mustard seeds. When they spultter , add hing, red chilli and curry leaves. Immediately pour it on gojju. Mix everything well, close a lid and allow it to sit for 10 mins.
- Relish yummy tangy spicy little sweetish mango gojju as a side dish with steamed rice / dosa/ chapathi . Drizzle few drops of coconut oil if you want while eating with rice .