How To Make Amla Toffee | Indian Gooseberry Toffee | Soft Amla Candy
Tasty, chewy, juicy and healthy. Amla from my tree could't have found a better use. My friend Shweta Vikas inspired me to make this with a little improvisation from my end.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time60mins
Key ingredients for Amla Toffee | Indian Gooseberry Toffee | Soft Amla Candy
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Amla Toffee | Indian Gooseberry Toffee | Soft Amla Candy
- 10 medium size amlas
- White Sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ghee (clarified butter) or butter
Steps to make Amla Toffee | Indian Gooseberry Toffee | Soft Amla Candy
- Wash amla and wipe them dry.
- Grease one 7x7 inch square cake pan or a steel plate.
- Put amla in a pressure cooker. Add water just enough to prevent amla from burning at the bottom. Pressure cook for two whistles. Let the amlas cool.
- Remove the seeds. Place the amla pieces in a blender, add amla water and puree them. Pass the puree through a strainer. This will remove the fibrous strands.
- Measure the puree and transfer it to a thick bottom steel wok. Measure the same quantity of sugar. ( I had two cups of puree and I added two cups of sugar).
- Add salt and ghee.
- Cook the mixture over medium flame. Once it comes to rolling boil, reduce heat. Cook it on low flame stirring continuously. It will begin to thicken.
- The colour will change from greenish yellow to brownish orange. Keep stirring and cooking till the mixture becomes gel like and begins to leave the sides.
- Grease a small plate. Drop some mixture. Cool it and roll it between thumb and index finger.
- If it rolls neatly into a ball, it is done, but if it sticks to finger, it needs more cooking.
- Empty the mixture into the prepared pan/plate. Tilt the pan/plate so that it spreads evenly. Keep it in a dry place to cool.
- Remove from the pan/plate, cut into bite size pieces. Roll the pieces in powdered sugar and store in an airtight container.
My Tip: It is important that the mixture rolls into a ball neatly between fingers. if it does not, cook further and test again.