Sheng Batata Kalvan (Drumbsticks Potato Curry)
- 3 drumbsticks
- 3-4 potatoes
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup grated Coconut
- Big marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- Scrape the drumsticks, wash and chop them in equal sized long pieces.
- Peel potatoes and cut them in thin slices and soak them in water.
- Crush the garlic cloves (with skin on).
- Parboil the drumbsticks. Dissolve tamarind in little warm water and mash well to extract the pulp. Discard the seeds.
- Grind coconut with little warm water to make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in pot/kadhai. Toss the garlic in hot oil and let them brown.
- Add onions and stir fry till lightly colored. Drain water from potatoes and add to the the onions.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add sufficient water to the gravy. Cover and let potatoes cook.
- Add the drumbsticks and let it simmer till cooked.
- Add the salt, tamarind pulp and coconut puree. Cover and simmer till aroma arises.
- When ready to serve, garnish with coriander leaves.
My Tip: Adjust the quantity of salt and tamarind pulp as per taste.
Other recipes in this foodbook
This foodbook has no other recipes.