Masale Wale Matar
This Green Pea delicious item is one of the most favoured in the city of Lucknow. In the Winter season when fresh and sweet bushels of Green Peas flood the markets, they are bought by the Kilo and the ladies of the house sit down in the afternoon after having lunch and after having finished their daily chores. They then gossip about news of their friends, relatives and the whole world as they shell the Peas, eating the sweet and green pearls at the same time. By evening they would be having a huge pan of fresh peas just waiting to be cooked to a tender deliciousness in the multiple recipes they make! These lovely spiced peas can be had any time of the day!
- Prep Time5Minutes
- Cooking Time15Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
- 2 cups fresh/frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp pure ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder (dhaniya)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Amchur (dry Mango powder)
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 large Green Chilli – minced/1 tsp Green Chilli paste
- 2 tsp chopped Ginger/1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves – finely chopped
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan on medium heat and add the cumin seeds. When they start turning brown, add the asafoetida and stir well.
- Add the minced green chilli and ginger (or the pastes if using) and fry for 1 minute till the rawness disappears. Now add the peas and salt and mix well to amalgamate.
- Turn the heat to lowest and let the peas cook for approximately 7 – 10 minutes till cooked.
- Now add the masala – red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, half the coriander leaves and Amchur and mix again. Cover and cook for 3 – 4 minutes till the masala is nicely mixed with the peas.
- Let it cool for sometime and garnish with the rest of the Coriander leaves.
- Serve warm as and when you like!