How To Make Kashmiri Rajma Masala
Kashmiri rajma / kashmiri rajma masala curry is a tasty side dish for rice made with kidney beans. It is a wonderful dish from Kashmir. Though I have heard about Kashmiri cuisine and its flavor, the first dish I prepared was Kashmiri chaman. It was a very easy to make and flavorful paneer dish. After that this kashmiri rajma is the second one. Kashmiri dishes are so flavourful and easy to prepare that I find myself trying it very often.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Kashmiri Rajma Masala
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Kashmiri Rajma Masala
- rajma/dry kidney beans - 1 1/4 cup
- onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- asafoetida powder hing - 1/8 tsp
- cumin seeds/ Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- dry ginger powder/chukku - 1 tsp
- ginger paste - 1 tsp
- kashmiri chili powder - 1 tsp
- coriander powder / malli podi - 2 tsp
- kashmiri garam masala - 1 tsp
- curd / yogurt - 1/2 cup (whisked)
- butter / ghee / oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
- black cardamom / badi elaichi - 3
- green cardamom / choti elaichi - 3
- cinnamon - 2-3 pieces
- cloves - 2-3
- pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
Steps to make Kashmiri Rajma Masala
- Add the spices into a mortar and pestle and grind into a powder or a food blender and process well.
- Soak rajma or red kidney beans in a large bowl of water overnight.
- Next day, drain the beans and transfer into a large, heavy-based pan. Pour enough water to cover, bring to a boil and cook for 10-20 mins. Remove from heat.
- Reserve the water and add the kidney beans into a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and cook for 1 whistle.
- Reduce the flame and cook for another 15 - 20 mins. Wait till the pressure subsides. Then keep the beans and water separately.
- Heat oil/ butter/ ghee in a pan/ kadai. Add asafoetida powder / hing followed by cumin seeds. Wait till cumin sizzles.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till it becomes light brownish in color.
- Now add ginger paste, dry ginger powder and whisked curd/ yogurt. Keep stirring vigorously or else it will curdle. Wait till oil separates.
- Add red chili powder, green chili, salt and rajma. Mix well. Saute well so that the masala gets combined well.
- Add the cooked water (around 1 1/2 cup). Bring it to boil, reduce the flame, cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until the beans are tender and the sauce is
- Now add coriander powder, garam masala and mix well. Add butter and serve hot with steamed rice.