How To Make Tomatoes Bhendi Masala ( Spicy Tomatoes Lady's fingers )
My food love comes from my mom and this is one of my favorite dishes that she prepared. This recipe has been passed from my mom to me , after I got married. I prepare the okra subzi in this way only and my hubby completely drools over it. This recipe involves parallel cooking. The okra is cooked in a wok or pan while the tomato masala is prepared in a separate pan. When the okra is cooked and crispy, the masala is added into it. Stir and mix and serve it hot as a side dish with rice or enjoy with any flat bread.
- Prep Time5mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Tomatoes Bhendi Masala ( Spicy Tomatoes Lady's fingers )
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make Tomatoes Bhendi Masala ( Spicy Tomatoes Lady's fingers )
- 400 gms chopped okra or lady fingers
- 2 tbsp mustard oil ( you can use any other cooking oil)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Dash of hing or asaefoetida
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 knob ginger finely chopped
- 1 green chilli slit vertically
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp red chilly powder (adjust as per your taste )
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- salt as per taste
Steps to make Tomatoes Bhendi Masala ( Spicy Tomatoes Lady's fingers )
- Heat a pan or a wok and add 1 tbsp oil into it. When the oil starts to simmer, add the chopped okra and cook open on low heat till it becomes crispy and well cooked.
- While the okra is cooking, heat a separate pan and add the remaining oil into it. Add hing and cumin seeds. When the seeds stop to crackle, add the onions , ginger and the green chillies. Saute till the onions turn light brown, soft and translucent. Add the tomatoes. Add turmeric, red chilly powder, and salt. Cover and cook on low medium heat till the tomatoes become soft and mushy. Stir, mix and cook until the oil separates. Turn off the heat.
- Add the onion tomatoes spicy mixture into the okra. Add the garam masala and amchur powder. Stir and mix. When the okra is well cooked, turn off the heat.
- Serve the tomatoes bhendi masala hot as a side dish with rice or with chappati or any flat bread.