Nucchina Unde / Steamed Lentil Dumplings
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- Bengal Gram Dal - Chana Dal - 1/2 cup
- Fresh grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Green chillies - 8-10
- Fresh coriander chopped - 1/4 cup
- Hing - A generous pinch
- Fresh ginger grated - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the lentils for 3-4 hours or even better overnight. Drain and rinse well. Drain out all water again, making sure there is absolutely no water left
- Put all the ingredients (no water) in the medium sized jar of your blender and grind at speed 1 for just 10 seconds. Open the lid, mix with a spoon.
- The mixture should be coarse, a few whole grains of dal or bits of chilies is just fine. If absolutely needed, process again 5-10 seconds.
- If you make a paste of it, you may not love the dumplings.
- Taste to check if you need more seasoning like salt or ginger. If necessary, just add more of these to the ground mixture, do not grind the mixture again.
- If you need more chilies, either chop fine and add or grind separately and mix.
- Lightly grease idli plates. Make about 12 small portions of the mixture and place in the plate, flatten slightly.
- Steam on high heat for about 12-14 minutes and check to make sure the dumplings are not doughy. Do not steam much longer as they may feel very dry.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with coconut chutney.