How To Make My Mom Special Pathars Mangshor Jhol( Bengali Mutton Curry)
When I was small, our sunday afternoon lunch was spent enjoying my mom's preparation of special authentic Bengali cuisine Pathar's Mangshor Jhol. Pathar means goat , Mangshor is mutton and Jhol is curry. Pathar Mangsho Jhol is a famous Bengali mutton curry popular for its rich taste and spiciness. My mom used onion tomatoes to prepare the curry. Many use lots of yogurt instead of the tomatoes to prepare the mutton stock. I prepare my mom's style which I will be sharing with you.
- Prep Time2Hours
- Cook Time65mins
Key ingredients for My Mom Special Pathars Mangshor Jhol( Bengali Mutton Curry)
How to make Garam Masala
Ingredients to make My Mom Special Pathars Mangshor Jhol( Bengali Mutton Curry)
- 500 gms of mutton cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 inch thick ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri mirch powder
- 1 tsp cayenne (adjust as per your spice preference )
- 2 heaped tablespoon of yogurt
- 2.5 tsp Coriander seeds( or 1 tsp coriander powder )
- 2.5 tsp cumin seeds (or 1 tsp cumin powder )
- 2.5 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamon pods( peeled and crushed)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 green chillies
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 large potato( washed, peeled and cut into halfs)
- 1 medium size tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ghee (optional )
- salt as per taste
Steps to make My Mom Special Pathars Mangshor Jhol( Bengali Mutton Curry)
- Grind half of the onions, half of ginger and 4 garlic cloves in a mixer or spice grinder along with 1 tbsp mustard oil into a smooth paste.
- Dry roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds and grind them coarsely.
- Marinade the mutton pieces with the onion-ginger-garlic paste,2 heaped tablespoon yogurt, 1 tsp of kashmiri mirch powder, 1 tsp cayenne, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and pinch of salt.Add chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Refrigerate the marinade for atleast 2 hours or leave it overnight.
- Wash, clean and peel the potatoes and chop it into cubes. Add it to chicken marinade 20 minutes before cooking.
- Finely chop the remaining onions, ginger and garlic. Heat a pressure cooker. Add 1.5 tbsp oil into it and when the oil is hot, add bayleaf, cardamon pods, cloves, black peppercorns and cinnamon stick. Saute it for 5 minutes on low heat till the spices release their aroma.
- Add the remaining chopped onions-ginger-garlic, green chillies and saute till the onions become soft, brown and translucent.
- Now add the marinaded mutton along with potaties and saute at medium heat for 20-25 minutes .
- Add 1 1/3 cup warm water, remaining kashmiri mirch and salt as per taste. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker with whistle on. Cook on medium high heat till the pressure cooker gives two whistles. Lower the heat and cook for another 35-40 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the steam to cool.
- Remove the lid of the cooker. Add garam masala and a teaspoon of ghee. Stir and mix. Close the lid of the cooker until ready to serve.
- Transfer the pathar mangsho curry into a serving bowl. Serve it hot with ruti or chappati or as a side dish along with rice.