How To Make Sanjori- Halwa/Sheera Stuffed Parantha
Food is synonymous with memories,some memories are too 'sweet' to be forgotten and keep figuring time and again in our thoughts and play in our sub-conscience time and over due to the special associations attached to them . The Sanjori recipe is one such, my Ajji or maternal grandmother would make this delicious and wholesome sweet dish on the demand of her off-springs ,my mother and her siblings when they felt the craving for it. My cousins and I ,her grandchildren ,also grew up savoring and taking delight in this much loved dish,which is a family favourite too.
- Prep Time3Hours
- Cook Time10mins
Key ingredients for Sanjori- Halwa/Sheera Stuffed Parantha
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Sanjori- Halwa/Sheera Stuffed Parantha
- For the Halwa/Sheera-
- 1) Suji/ Rava/Semolina - 1 cup
- 2)Ghee/Clarified Butter - 4 tbspns
- 3) Sugar -1 cup
- 4) Water - 2 cups
- 5) Milk - 1 cup
- 6) Cardamom Powder - 1 tspn
- 7) A few strands of Saffron dissolved in 2 tbspns of warm milk - optional
- 8) Badams / Almonds- 4-5 ,finely silvered
- 9) Roasted Besan/ Gramflour - 3/4 th cup
- For the outer covering of the flat-bread -
- 1) Wholewheat Flour - 4 cups
- 2) Ghee/ Refined Veg Oil - 1 tbspn
- 3) Salt - a pinch or 1/4th tspn
- 4) Water - As required, to knead the dough
Steps to make Sanjori- Halwa/Sheera Stuffed Parantha
- For the Sheera -
- Keep the water and milk to boil in a vessel, adding sugar to it and simmer on low heat till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Meanwhile,heat the ghee in a non-stick or heavy bottomed aluminium pan or kadhai.
- Roast the Suji on low heat,stirring briskly time and again,till golden brown and fragrant. This should take 5-6 minutes. Switch off the heat.
- Pour the water-milk-sugar mixture into the kadhai, carefully, stirring all the while to avoid lumps.
- Switch on the heat, cook covered on low heat for 3-4 minutes till the halwa comes to a fine, thick consistency.
- Take off the heat.
- Mix in the cardamom powder and the saffron if you are using it.
- Add the chopped badam. Mix in.
- Cool. Refrigerate for about two hours.
- Add the roasted besan to the cooled halwa, mix well and keep aside.
- For the Sanjori -
- Knead the wholewheat flour adding water, salt and the oil into a tightish dough, as you would for paranthas.
- Keep aside, covered,for fifteen minutes.
- Make small balls out of the dough, roll out a little, stuffing the cold halwa mix into them, roll out again, as you would for any stuffed parantha,adding dry flour for dusting and rolling out the stuffed roti.
- Roast or seko on a tawa on medium heat, brushing with a litlle ghee on both sides.
- Brown and cook the Sanjoris on both sides uniformly and take off the tawa.
- Serve topped with melted ghee.
- This makes for a great brunch on holidays.