Flattened Rice and Oats Thatte (Plate) Idlis
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- 2 cups thick Flattened Rice
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 Cup Urad dal
- 1/2 cup Rice
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut
- Salt to taste
- Water Or Buttermilk
- Sesame Oil
- 2 big Green Tomatoes
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 or more Green chillies (as per taste)
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1 big Onion sliced
- 2 dry red Chillies
- Wash and soak the dal and rice for 5 hours.
- Grind the dal and rice into a thick dropping consistency.
- Leave it overnight to ferment.
- Wash the flattened rice and add it into the batter, add oats, salt and coconut.
- Add water or buttermilk to get the right consistency of the batter. Keep it for 10 minutes.
- If required add more water or butter milk.... as oats and flattened rice soak up the liquid.
- Take small size plates, apply oil and pour tablespoons of the batter into it.
- Steam the idlis in a steamer. Serve hot with green tomato and garlic chutney and sesame and onion chutney....
- For the Green Tomatoes and Garlic Chutney- Grind green tomatoes, garlic cloves, green chillies and coriander leaves into a thick paste.
- For Sesame seeds and Onion Chutney- Take a pan, add oil, onion, red chillies and sesame seeds.
- Fry till the onions become translucent. Add salt and once it cools down, blend to a paste in the blender..
- Serve idlis with both the chutneys.