How To Make Benne Chakli or Murukku
Chakli or murukku is a traditional snack that is prepared during any auspicious occasion. Be it marriage, or baby shower or festivities like diwali or Ganesh chaturti, you are sure to have chaklis on the menu. So you see, this savory, crunchy snack is a part of every auspicious menu.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time30mins
Ingredients to make Benne Chakli or Murukku
- Rice flour- 4 cups (my cup measured 80ml)
- Urad dal- 1 cup
- Salt-1 tsp or to taste
- Asafetida or hing- a large pinch
- Paprika powder- 1 tsp
- cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Butter- 2 tbsp, melted
- Oil to deep fry
Steps to make Benne Chakli or Murukku
- Pressure cook the urad dal in 1-1/4 cups of water for 3-4 whistles or till completely cooked. Mash the dal and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice flour with the salt, paprika powder, asafoetida, cumin seeds and butter and mix well.
- Add the cooked urad dal and mix well. Add water little by little and mix to form a soft but firm dough. Divide the dough into 4-5 equal portions and keep aside.
- Grease the insides of the chakli or murukku press with a little oil and fix the plate with one star.
- Place one portion of the dough in the press and place the other potion of the mould through the other hole one the top and press the dough onto a greased plastic sheet. Slightly rotate the murukku press round and round to get the spirals
- Remove the pressed dough from the plastic sheet and drop it into the hot oil. Fry the murukku on med high heat for a min. Reduce the flame to low and fry for a min more till golden brown.
- Remove the fried murukku from hot oil and drain them on paper towels. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the dough and serve with hot coffee or tea