How To Make Amla Chholay and Bhatura
Chholay is one of my favourite dish of North India specially from Punjab side. It is served as Chholay Chawal, Chholay Kulcha, Chholay Bhatura, Chholay Puri, Chholay Tikki and so on.... I learned this from my mom.... I gave a twist to my mom's recipe by adding Amla to this ..... it gives a nice black colour to my chholay and tangy taste along with the richness of vitamin C.......
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time60mins
Ingredients to make Amla Chholay and Bhatura
- Chick Peas- 2 cups soaked overnight
- Amla- 3
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- Ginger and Garlic crushed- 2 Tablespoon
- 2 Green Chilly chopped
- 4 Onions Chopped
- 4 Tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- Salt according to taste
- 1 Teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chholay powder
- 3 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Dried Spices used while boiling chick peas-
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 cloves
- Star spice- 1 pc
- Javitri- small piece
- Cinnamon- 1 stick
Steps to make Amla Chholay and Bhatura
- Soak chick peas overnight for about 4 hours. Now in a pressure cooker cook it for 20 mins or till it is cooked nicely, with salt and all the dried spices, as in the following step-
- ( 2 Bay leaves, 2 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 4 cloves, star spice, Javitri, amla (2 full and 1 cut in small pieces) and piece of cinnamon).
- After boiling if you want you can remove the amla... if you like tangy taste you can keep it in the curry....
- Now in a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds and roast it. Then add crushed ginger garlic and green chillies and saute for some time.
- Now add chopped onions and saute it till it is dark brown in color. Time to add chopped tomatoes and salt and saute till tomatoes are cooked.
- Next, in a bowl, mix chilly powder and chholay powder with 3 tablespoon of water and add this to tarka. Cook it nicely till the masala leave the oil
- Now add boiled chholay without water, cook it nicely for 5 min. Now add a cup of water which we used for boiling chholay.
- Cover it with lid and cook for 7 to 10 min... Then add chopped coriander leaves and dried mango powder....
- Serve hot with boiled and fried potatoes.... (optional)
- Chholay is ready with nice black colour and tangy taste, serve it hot with Rice or Bhatura ......