How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- 1 1/4 cup of semolina (Rava)
- 2 cups of buttermilk (1/2 cup beaten curd+1&1/2 cup water)
- 1/2 tsp salt or according to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- For tempering:
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 chopped green chilly
- 1tsp urad dal
- 1tsp chana dal
- few curry leaves (curry patta)
- coconut slices
- 8-10 cashewnuts
- For greasing.. 1tsp oil
- 1 sachet eno fruit salt or 1tbsp eno. to be added in batter
- In a bowl mix together semolina, buttermilk, salt and 1 tbsp oil and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now after half an hour prepare the tempering. Heat the oil 1 tbsp. Add mustard seeds to it. As they splutter, add urad dal, roast it, add channa dal, roast it. Now add chopped chillies, coconut slices and curry leaves.
- Add this tempering to the batter prepared and toss well, add a bit of water to it as well.
- Now grease the idli moulds with a little oil.
- Ready the idli cooker.
- To the batter add eno salt. Give it a slight stir and as it bubbles pour the batter immediately into idli moulds and cook on a slow flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Unmould the idlis and enjoy with sambhar and chutney. Garnish with fried cashewnuts
My Tip: The tempering we have added helps to reduce the tanginess of the curd or buttermilk and enhances the flavour.