Pound Cake –
1. I used a 9×4 inch loaf pan, greased with butter and lined parchment paper. Pre heat the oven to 150°C.
2. Add eggs in a bowl and whisk. Next add milk and vanilla essence and whisk again.
3. Add all the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into another bowl. Add butter and 1/4 part of the egg mixture and beat until the dry ingredients have been moistened up.
4. Increase the speed to high & beat for 1 min
5. Now add the rest of the egg mixture and beat.
6. Add red food colour and whisk until the colour gets well incorporated into the cake dough.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes at 180 degree C. A toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Cling wrap the cake and freeze it for 2 hours to overnight.
Chocolate Butter Cake (With a surprise inside):
Pre-heat oven to 150 degree C. Line up 6 inch by 12 inch loaf pan with butter paper on the bottom and sides of the pan. Grease the paper with butter.
To cocoa powder add boiling water and mix well with a spoon,
Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. To the eggs add 1 part of cocoa and whisk until well combined.
Add cake flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in the bowl and mix using an electric beater.
Add softened butter into the dry mixture. Add the remaining cocoa mixture and start beating on medium speed. Beat on medium until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Add the egg and cocoa mixture, beating for 20 seconds on medium speed after each addition.
Pour the batter in the prepared loaf tin and fill just half of the tin.
Remove the frozen vanilla pound cake and slice them into 1/2 inch thickness.
Use heart cookie cutter and cut them into heart shapes.
Start placing the heart shaped pound cakes into the half filled loaf pan. Make sure to place them next to each other. Try not to push it down, place them with very little pressure.
Finish arranging all the hearts. Now pour the remaining batter and fill the pan 3/4th full. If you have remaining batter, use them to make cupcakes.
Smooth out the top and tap down few times to release any air bubbles.Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 to 50 minutes at 150 degree C. A tooth pick inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean.
Cool on wire rack. Once completely cooled, pour melted dark chocolate ganache (melt dark chocolate in microwave, add 1 tsp of butter and mix well) and allow it to set.
Surprise your loved ones with this cake, Cut the cake in front of them to give them the surprise!