How To Make Pumpkin Leaf Chutney
It sounds like a very unusual chutney. But it is shared with me by my bengali friend, Rupa. I have made some minor adaptations to it.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Ingredients to make Pumpkin Leaf Chutney
- Pumpkin leaves - 20 (tender/young)
- Onions - 2 (medium & finely chopped)
- garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1/4 tsp grated
- Green Chillies - 2 (chopped)
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp (toasted and ground)
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp (toasted and ground)
- mustard oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
Steps to make Pumpkin Leaf Chutney
- Wash the leaves under running water and leave to dry in a colander. Make sure all the water is removed before proceeding ahead.
- Heat a flat pan, toast the leaves on both sides till they let out a nutty aroma. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add chopped onions and fry till they change colour. Then add in the chopped green chillies, garlic and ginger.
- Add all the spices and sprinkle a little water so that the spices do not burn. Add in the toasted leaves and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Keep sprinkling water so the mixture does not stick at the bottom. Season with salt. Remove from heat and cool.
- After cooling, transfer it all into a blender and blitz till the contents become smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
My Tip: High source of iron.