Methi Malai Paneer
There are very less people who do not like Paneer. There is a subtle and rich taste for this lovely Indian cottage cheese that makes people go crazy for it. This curry comprises of blocks of Paneer and Fenugreek Leaves called Methi patta in Hindi in a lovely fusion. A tasty gravy and juicy blocks of Paneer make this recipe a hit with Indian breads like Roti,Phulka,Naan or Kulcha and also with plain rice or mild pulao like Cashewnut and Raisin,Jeera Rice or Kashmiri Pulao.
- Prep Time0Minutes
- Cooking Time90Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
- For the Masala Paste:
- 3 - Onions (medium)
- 2 - Tomatoes (small)
- 2 tsp - Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp - Green Chilli paste
- 20 - Cashew nuts
- 1 tsp - Cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp - Oil
- Other Ingredients:
- 400 gms - fresh Paneer (cut into cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh Fenugreek(Methi) leaves/3 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 tsp - Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Powder (Dhaniya)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp - Garam Masala Powder
- 1 cup - water
- 1/4 cup & 1 tbsp - fresh cream
- Salt to taste
- 1 & 1/2 tsp - sugar
- 2 tbsp - Oil
- Preparing the Fenugreek Leaves:The leaves are bitter and we first prepare them, that is take some of their bitterness out. For this rub the leaves with 2 tsp salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- This will take the water content plus some of the bitterness out of the leaves. Now wash the leaves under plenty of water till the salt content is all drained out. Chop the leaves finely and keep aside.
- The Masala paste: Heat the 1 tbsp Oil and add the cumin seeds. After they splutter, add the chopped Onions. Saute till a little brown. Add the Ginger-Garlic and Green Chili pastes and sauté till the moisture evaporates.
- If using whole Ginger and Garlic and Green Chilies sauté till they are cooked. Now add the Tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the Cashew nuts. Cook for 5-6 minutes more till the tomatoes soften and take off heat.
- Cool to room temperature. After cooling, transfer to a blender and adding 2-3 tbsp water, make a fine paste.
- Preparing the curry: Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a pan and add the prepared Fenugreek Leaves. Saute on medium heat till they wilt and cook. Now add the Turmeric, Red Chili and Coriander Powders and mix well.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes and then add the prepared paste. Mix very well to amalgamate and cook for 7-8 minutes till the oil floats on top.
- Add water and salt to taste and cook covered for 4-5 minutes. Now add the Paneer cubes and stir very gently to avoid breaking the Paneer. Cook for 3-4 minutes and add Garam Masala and sugar. Mix well and take off heat.
- Cover for at least 30 minutes before serving the Paneer to absorb all the flavours.
- Serve hot with any Indian bread or rice!