Murgh Gilafi Seekh Kebab.
Kebabs cooked with a Gilaf which means a Cover. Chicken mince mixed with fragrant Indian spices, nuts and cheese, finished with a Gilaf of Onion ,Tomatoes and Capsicum accompanied with Onion Laccha Salad and Spicy Mint-coriander-yogurt chutney.
- Prep Time0Minutes
- Cooking Time3Hours
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
- Chicken mince very fine - 500 gm.
- Brown onion paste - Äµ th cup
- Ginger Paste - ï†¾ th tbsp.
- Garlic Paste - ï†¾ th tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder - 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder - ½ tsp.
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp.
- Lemon juice - 1 Äµ tbsp.
- Almonds blanched peeled and coarsely ground - ï†¾ tbsp.
- Cashew nuts coarsely ground - ï†¾ tbsp.
- Fresh coriander finely chopped - ½ bunch (medium sized)
- Green chillies finely chopped - 4
- Chicken fat - 60 gms
- Egg - 1 (Optional)
- Thick cream/ cream cheese/ processed cheese - 1 & ½ tbsp.
- Kewra water/ screw-pine natural edible essence - 1 tsp
- For the Gilaf/Outer covering: Onion finely chopped - 40 gms
- Tomatoes deseeded chopped - 40 gms
- Capsicum finely chopped - 40 gms
- For basting the chicken pieces: Pure ghee - 1 & 1/2 tsp
- For Sprinkling: Lemon Juice - 1
- Chaat masala – 1/4 tsp (Optional)
- For accompaniments: Onion laccha salad
- Mint - coriander - yogurt chutney
- Mince the ingredients, set aside for 2 ½ hours (Can also be refrigerated) If prepared in the Oven at 165°C for 10 minutes. If prepared in a Tandoor – 07 minutes should be enough.
- Squeeze out the excess of moisture from the chicken mince, if the moisture content is more in the kebabs, they will not hold the seekhs.
- Mix the mince with brown onion paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, salt- to taste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, lemon juice, almonds, blanched, peeled and coarsely ground and cashew nuts coarsely ground too.
- To that mixture add fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, green chilies, finely chopped, chicken fat, egg (optional), thick cream/cream cheese/processed cheese and kewra water/screw-pine natural edible essence.
- Keep aside for 2 ½ hours. (May be refrigerated)
- For the gilaf / covering:
- In a platter mix together the finely chopped onions, tomatoes and capsicum. Divide the chicken mince mixture into 8 balls and roll into elongated lengths, then roll these kebabs over the gilaf mixture, ensuring that they are bound properly
- Wooden skewers may be used, provided they are soaked in water for 8-10 minutes i.e. shape the chicken mince mixture along the length of the skewers and coat with the gilaf mixture.
- Roast in the tandoor for 7 minutes.
- If you are using an oven then roast it for 10 minutes at 160°C.
- Keep basting the kebabs with melted ghee to prevent it from drying.
- For serving the kebabs: In a serving plate, serve the kebabs very hot sprinkled with lemon juice and accompanied with onion laccha salad and mint-coriander-yogurt chutney.
My Tip: 1.You may add an egg to the chicken mince mixture, as an egg has a binding property. 2.You may use cream cheese/ processed cheese instead of using thick cream, while preparing the Chicken mince mixture. 3.You may prepare the chicken mince mixture 01 day in advance and keep it refrigerated and use it when required. 4.Drizzling with melted pure ghee/ melted butter/ Canola oil keeps the chicken kebabs juicy and tender. 5.You may use a tandoor, oven or barbecue for the kebabs. 6.You may sprinkle a little chaat masala before serving the kebabs.