Broken Wheat and Mixed Millet Upma
Broken wheat and millet are combined together in this upma to make a healthy, nutritious and gluten free breakfast savory. Loaded with the goodness of veggies, Broken Wheat and Mixed Millet Upma is a one pot meal in it's very own way. It's filling and keeps you energetic throughout the day. Did you know- Broken wheat & Millet provides nutrition to the body in their own respective ways. Broken wheat is a good source of magnesium, iron, and phosphorus where as the Millet contain low phytic acid and are rich in dietary fiber, iron, calcium, and B vitamins. Moreover, millet release sugar slowly in the blood and also diminish the glucose absorption.
- Prep Time20Minutes
- Cooking Time30Minutes
- 1/2 cup Broken wheat (dalia)
- 4 tablespoon Bajra (seeds)
- 4 tablespoon Ragi Seeds
- 4 tablespoon Jowar
- 2 tablespoon Foxtail Millet
- 1 tablespoon Barley (seeds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilli , finely chopped
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger , grated
- Salt , as needed
- 2 tablespoon Ghee/ refined oil
- 1 Cup water
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , for garnish
- To begin with Broken Wheat and Mixed Millet Upma, mix broken wheat and millet and wash it. Strain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee/refined oil in a cooker, add cumin seeds and allow it to crackle. Now add grated ginger, chopped green chilies and onion and saute.
- Add peas and carrots to it and fry well for few minutes. You can add more vegetables like capsicum, cauliflower, corn, mushroom etc. Quantity of vegetables depend on one's personal requirement.
- Add the washed broken wheat mix to the fried veggies and stir fry everything together till they turn golden in colour and you get the roasted aroma out of it.
- Pour one cup of water or as much as required to cover the surface of the fried mix.
- Add salt according to your taste and pressure cook till the cooker releases 2-3 whistles.
- Turn off the gas and allow the steam to settle completely. Open the lid and mix everything well with a spatula. Squeeze lemon juice over and garnish it with finely chopped coriander.
- Serve Broken Wheat and Mixed Millet Upma with a hot cup of masala chai or a smoothie of your choice.