Karela Thepla - Bitter Gourd Indian Flat Bread
A quintessential Indian flat bread that belongs to Gujarati cuisine is made with wheat flour, gram flour and is flavoured with various additional ingredients like Fenugreek, Spinach, Beetroot, Bitter gourd etc. Theplas made with grated bitter gourd is ideal breakfast option for weight watchers and also is a diabetic friendly dish. Thepla is typically eaten with pickles and is a common breakfast in Gujarat and also a favourite travel/journey food. Thepla resembles Indian paratha a lot but is thin and made with minimum oil or butter unlike those ghee drenched Punjabi parathas. Serve Karela Thepla along with Tomato Onion Cucumber Raita and Aam Ka Achaar for a light lunch or breakfast.
- Prep Time25Minutes
- Cooking Time25Minutes
- 1 cup Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Bitter Gourd (Karela) , grated
- 1 teaspoon Caraway seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 inch Ginger , grated
- 2 Green Chillies , ground to paste
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Ghee or oil
- 1/2 cup Luke Warm Water
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted - optional
- To begin making the Karela Thepla recipe, in a large mixing bowl, add wheat flour and besan along with grated karela, ajwain, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, green chili paste, ginger paste, ghee/oil and mix well with a spoon .
- Now slowly add warm water and knead the flour mix to make a soft dough.
- Heat a flat bottomed tawa and meanwhile prepare the theplas.
- Pinch a lemon sized ball from the dough and roll out to make a thin roti on the dusted floor.
- Once the tawa is hot, place the thepla on the tawa and dry roast it from both sides.
- Now brush some melted butter on both sides of the thepla one by one and roast till golden in colour.
- Transfer the thepla on a serving plate and serve hot. Serve Karela Thepla along with Tomato Onion Cucumber Raita and Aam Ka Achaar for a light lunch or breakfast.