How To Make Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani ( In a Pressure Cooker )
Biryani needs no introduction as this delectably flavored rice cooked with succulent pieces of meat is a crowd favorite on any given day !!
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time45mins
Key ingredients for Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani ( In a Pressure Cooker )
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani ( In a Pressure Cooker )
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 600 gm Chicken breast (or leg piece if you prefer)
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp GingerGarlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 tbsp fresh tomato puree
- 1 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 small petal of mace
- 2 green cardamon
- 2 pinch nutmeg
- 1 large onion
- 4 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- a handful of mint leaves
- a handful of coriander leaves
Steps to make Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani ( In a Pressure Cooker )
- Heat a pan. Dry roast the coriander and cumin seeds and grind into a fine powder.
- Beat the curd, cumin-coriander powder, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric, tomato puree, salt, powdered cinnamon, cloves, star anise and javitri together. Add the chicken pieces to it and allow to marinate for 2 hours.
- Cut the onion into thin rings and keep aside. Soak the saffron in the milk.
- Heat a pan. Add the oil. When it becomes hot, add the mint leaves, coriander leaves, onion rings and stir fry till they turn opaque. Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook for 15-20 mins or till the chicken is 80% done.
- Wash the rice and add to a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water, crushed cardamon, nutmeg and the saffron-milk along with the chicken pieces . Mix well. Add 1 tsp ghee at this stage to prevent the rice grains from sticking to each other.
- Close the lid and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from fire and allow the steam to escape. Serve with raita.
- Top it up with some fried/brown onion rings for a great taste!!
My Tip: The most important part of getting the biryani recipe is cooking the rice just right. Make a trial of cooking the rice in a cooker before making the biryani, just to get the cooking time and water proportion right.