How to make Garam Masala
- 100 grams basmati rice
- 1 small sized onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (peas/carrots/ tomato/ cauliflower)
- 1/2 teaspoon Jeera Powder (roasted)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 750 ml Water
- 2 Bayleafs
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- Spice ingredients:
- 1 piece of Cardamom
- 1 piece of Star Anise
- 2 Cloves
- 4-5 Pepper Corns
- Half a stick of Cinnamon
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes before you start cooking. Then put the rice in a pot with water and the spices- bay leaf, a small piece of star anise, 2 cloves,cinnamon and a cardamom. Let it simmer and cook.
- In the meantime, dry roast the spice ingredients and grind into a coarse powder form.
- After the rice is cooked, spread it on a plate evenly and let it cool down.
- Let the vegetables steam and cook for 10 minutes till they are soft yet crunchy.
- Take a pan, pour in oil, once the oil is hot put in the cumin seeds. Once the seeds pop, put in the onion and stir fry for a minute.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste along with 1/2 teaspoon only of the spice mixture. Also put in the roasted jeera powder and garam masala powder.
- Stir and mix well, add salt according to taste. Next, put in the vegetables, saute and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally add in the cooked rice. Cover with a lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot alongside your favourite veg or non-veg gravy.