Jackfruit/kathal dum biryani
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
- For Marination: 200 gms- jack fruit (pieces) removes seeds
- 90 gms - yogurt
- 2 1/2 tbsp - ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp - lemon juice
- 1 tsp - garam masala
- 1/2 tsp - chili powder
- 1/4 tsp - turmeric (haldi)
- For Biryani: 4 cups - basmati rice
- 11 tbsp - oil
- 3 - onions (medium size) chopped
- 4 - cloves cardamom and green chillies
- 2 inch - cinnamon stick
- 2 - bay leaves
- 1 - star anise and badi elaichi(black cardamom) each
- A handful- coriander and mint leaves
- orange colour a few drops (optional)
- 2 tbsp - ghee
- 10-12 - cahews for garnish (optional)
- salt as needed
- Boil water in a sauce pan, add the pieces with some salt and boil for 10 - 15 mins until they become soft , drain the water and allow them to cool.
- Deep fry the onions to golden brown in the above given oil. Remove them on tissue paper and set aside.
- Marinate the jack fruit them with the spices mentioned under marination.Wash and soak rice for 1/2 an hour.
- Boil water in a large sauce pan, add soaked rice with salt and add half of the whole spices mentioned. Cook the rice until its done 70%, there should be a bite in it. Drain the rice.
- Take the same oil in which you have deep fried the onions in a big sauce pan. Switch on the flame and add the whole spices, marinated jack fruit, mint, coriander and spread it equally.
- Now add the rice and spread it, add ghee, sprinkle the orange colour. Cover the pan with aluminium foil and put in on low flame for 25 mins on dum.
- Serve hot with raita of your choice.
My Tip: Jack fruit I used was a tender one. Boil the jack fruit accordingly larger the fruit more time it takes. Since jack fruit has no water content unlike meat, so 25 minutes on dum was enough for me.
Other recipes in this foodbook
This foodbook has no other recipes.