- 1 and ½ liter full cream milk
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/8 cup water (water will be half of vinegar)
- 1 cup date palm jaggery, crumbled
- 5-6 cardamoms powdered
- 8 to 10 pistachios or almonds (slivered)
- Pour the milk in a pan and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat. After 5 minutes, add in vinegar and water into the milk. Stop adding when the milk begins to curdle. (Do not add all the vinegar and water in one go.)
- Stir gently after 5 minutes. By now the cheese and greenish clear whey should separate.
- Take a muslin cloth on a large strainer and collect the cottage cheese. While on a strainer, add a glass of water to remove sourness from the cottage cheese.
- Bring edges of the cheese cloth together and tie a knot. Squeeze the cheese cloth to remove excess water and hang the cheese cloth for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer this cottage cheese to a plate and mash it with your hands for 15 to 20 minutes. It should become soft and smooth in texture. Add date palm jaggery and cardamom powder. Mash for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a thick bottom steel wok. Cook on a low heat. Stir and cook for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. As soon as you are able to handle it, stuff a spoonful of mixture into the mould. Press and gently nudge out. You can also make balls with this mixture.
- Decorate ans serve with slivered pistachios or almonds.
My Tip: You can also use powdered sugar in place of date palm jaggery. Adjust the quantity of sugar according to taste.