- 1 packet pav bread (Easily available in the market)
- For the Vada filling:
- 3 - 4 boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 - 3 grated garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarson)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 6 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp oil + Oil for deep frying
- For the outer covering:
- 3/4 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- A pinch of baking soda
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add in the grated garlic and chopped green chillies, saute for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Keep aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, lets make the batter by combining besan, haldi, baking soda and little water (almost 1/3 cup).
- When the potato mixture has cooled, make equal sized 8 tikkis.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. When it is ready, dip each tikki in the batter and then slowly slide in the hot oil.
- Deep fry all 8 tikkis in hot oil, till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Slice each pav into half and place one vada in each pav and serve immediately.
- I also kept some lemon and green chilli while serving