Green Chilli and Honey Angoori Rabri – Angoori Rabri with a Twist !
Shocking, yes it is! I wanted to innovate this recipe, especially for people who have a palate for both spicy/hot and sweet flavour. Kutch Theekha Kutch Meetha. A rich creamy dessert made with thickened milk, flavoured with stewed seedless green chillies, honey, green cardamom powder and garnished with stewed seedless sliced green chillies, honey, slivered almonds, pistachio nuts and broiled saffron.
- Prep Time0Minutes
- Cooking Time90Minutes
How to make Chenna
- For the Rabri:
- Full cream milk- 5 cups
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Green Cardamom powder - Äµ tsp.
- Pistachio nuts blanched peeled and chopped - 10 gms
- Almonds blanched peeled and chopped - 10 gms
- Other Ingredients: Baby Rasgullas / chenna murki - 16
- For stewing the green chillies: Honey - 25 ml
- For stewing the green chillies: Water- 120 ml
- For the Flavouring:
- Green chillies deseeded thinly sliced stewed in honey - 2
- Honey- 30 ml
- For the Garnishing:
- Green chillies deseeded finely sliced - 1
- Honey- 2 tsp.
- Saffron broiled- 1 gms
- Pistachio nuts blanched peeled and slivered - 10 gms
- Almonds blanched peeled and slivered - 10 gms
- In a heavy bottomed non-stick pan boil 60 ml of water, add 20 ml of honey and all the deseeded slices of green chillies. Strain and divide into ¾ and ¼ portions i.e. to be added in the rabri and for the garnishing.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add milk, bring it to a boil. Add the sugar and cardamom powder and simmer over low flame / heat.
- Do not stir too often, as a layer of cream should not form over it. After the layer is formed, keep pushing it away from the sides towards the center with the help of a wooden spatula.
- Keep stirring the milk below it gently to avoid scorching / burning. Repeat the process till 1/3 rd of the volume of milk is left.
- The wider the vessel and the richer the milk, the faster it will thicken. When done, the colour changes to a beige-cream / off white, and the cream that was pushed aside, collects in layers. Add in the chopped nuts.
- Add stewed green chilli slices, the baby rasgullas / chenna murki, stir gently. Remove from the flame. Add honey. Stir gently, taking care that you don’t break the baby rasgullas / chenna murki.
- Let it cool. Transfer to a serving dish / clay pots. Refrigerate to chill for at least 1 hour.
- For the Serving: Serve chilled, garnished with deseeded sliced green chillies stewed in honey, honey, broiled saffron, almond and pistachio nut slivers.
My Tip: You may use silver leaf to top this dessert to make it more attractive, but remember to apply it before you garnish the dessert. Make sure that the milk does not burn as, then it is next to impossible to rectify the burnt milk. You may increase the no. of green chillies as per your taste. You may add a few drops of kewra essence or natural screw pine essence / Rose water when the Rabri is done. You may make this rabri without sugar i.e. only with honey as a sweetener , in that case increase the quantity of honey and add it to the milk when thickened and removed from the flame.