Manganem | Goan Chana Dal Sweet Dish For Diwali
How to make Coconut Milk
How to make Ghee
- freshly grated coconut 2 cups
- chana dal / Gram dal 1 cup
- sabudana / Sago pearls 1/2 cup
- grated jaggery 1 cup
- cashewnuts 20
- ghee 1 tbsp
- Soak the chana dal for 4 hours in water.
- Wash and keep the sabudana aside.
- Crush the cashewnuts into 2-3 pieces, roast it in ghee and keep them aside.
- Grind the grated coconut in 2 cups water. Pass it through strainer and extract thick coconut milk. Collect the residue.
- Now pass ½ cup water through the residue and extract thin coconut milk.
- Mix both thick and thin coconut milk and keep aside.
- Pressure cook chana dal in 5 cups water. Do not over-cook the chana dal. It should not be mashed or mashy. Drain the chana dal.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan, add pressure cooked chana dal by excluding water.
- Add coconut milk and sabudana and let it cook for 20 Mins on medium heat.
- Add grated jaggery and mix well.
- Garnish with roasted cashewnuts and serve hot.
My Tip: Add jaggery only after the sago pearls turn transparent.
Other recipes in this foodbook
This foodbook has no other recipes.