Labanga Latika (Sweet Clove Pockets)
How to make Ghee
How to make Khoya
- Maida (All purpose flour)- 1 1/2 Cups
- Ghee (Clarified Butter)- 3 Tbsp
- Warm Water (as required for making the dough)
- Cloves- 16
- Refined Oil for Deep Frying
- Khoya (Mawa)- 1 Cup
- Grated Coconut- 1/4 Cup
- Cardamom powder- 1 Tsp
- Powered Sugar- 1/4 - 1/2 Cup
- Sugar- 3/4 Cup (For Sugar Syrup)
- Water- 1/2 Cup
- Cardamom powder- 1 Tsp (for sugar syrup)
- Rose Water- 1 Tsp
- Cloves 4-5
- Take maida in a bowl. Add ghee to it and rub it with your palms to form bread crumbs like texture.
- Now add warm water to it and make a stiff dough (like mathri or samosa dough).
- Let the dough rest for half an hour.
- Take khoya in a wok. Add powdered sugar, cardamom powder and grated coconut and stir over low heat till it is completely mixed and looks like a smooth dough.
- Remove from heat and take it out in a bowl.
- Mix sugar with water in a vessel and put it on high flame till it reaches one thread consistency.
- Now add the cardamom powder, rose water and cloves to the sugar syrup. Turn off the gas.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal sized balls.
- Roll out each ball into small thin chapattis (the size of a puri).
- Now fill the stuffing in the center and fold it from both sides overlapping each other.
- Now flip it backwards and take the two open ends and fold it again overlapping each other (make sure the stuffing does not come out). Seal it with the clove as illustrated in the pic.
- Now take a wok with refined oil for deep frying. Heat it and when the fumes start to come out turn off the gas. Let it cool down for sometime.
- Put the prepared latikas in the oil and turn on the gas (on medium heat). Deep fry till golden brown in colour. Drain the latikas on a tissue paper (to remove excess oil).
- Now dip the fried latikas in sugar syrup for a minute or so and take them out.
My Tip: While making the stuffing do remember to stir constantly, else the Khoya might stick to the base of your wok.