Sorse Doi Ilish (Hilsa fish with mustard and curd)
- Hilsha/Ilish fish - 2-4 pieces
- Onion seeds/kalojeere/Kalonji - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seed - 3 tbsp
- Poppy seeds/Posto - 2 tbsp
- Curd - 5 tbsp
- Green chili - 4 to 5
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar (as per taste)
- Mustard oil
- Soak mustard and poppy seeds in water for about an hour and then grind it into a fine paste with 1/2 tsp salt, curd, 3-4 green chillies.
- Heat mustard oil in a large pan and add onion seeds followed by mustard paste, turmeric powder, salt and sugar. Let it cook after it releases oil. Add 1 cup of hot water, ilish pieces and 2 whole green chillies in it.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and then reduce the flame and cook for another 12 to 15 minutes.
- Check the fish if its cooked then it is ready to be eaten. Serve hot with steamed rice.