How To Make Chingri Maacher Malai Curry ( Tiger Prawns cooked in Coconut Milk)
The popular and a favourite among the Bengalis which is cooked on special occasions like Bengali New year or Durga Pujo or even Marriages.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Chingri Maacher Malai Curry ( Tiger Prawns cooked in Coconut Milk)
How to make Coconut Milk
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Chingri Maacher Malai Curry ( Tiger Prawns cooked in Coconut Milk)
- 500gms Tiger Prawns (Bagda Chingri)
- 1 large Coconut
- 2 cups Hot water
- 4 Green chillies (slit)
- 4-5 Green cardamoms
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2tbsp Ghee
- 1.5 tsp Ground mace
- 1tsp Turmeic powder
- 1-inch Stick cinnamon
- 5 Cloves
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Chingri Maacher Malai Curry ( Tiger Prawns cooked in Coconut Milk)
- Grate the coconut and extract the cream by squeezing the flesh through a piece of muslin cloth. Add hot water to the residue coconut and squeeze out the milk. Keep the milk and the cream separately
- Coat the Tiger Prawns with Turmeric powder and salt and then saute for 4 mins in hot ghee in a pan. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same ghee, fry the green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. When the spices are fragrant, add the coconut milk and let it simmer for 5-7 mins.
- Add the prawns and the chillies and salt to taste, let it simmer for 10mins.
- Add the ground mace and simmer very gently for another 2 mins before adding the cream from the coconut.
- Serve hot, garnished with grated coconut and few slit green chillies.
My Tip: 1. Add ground garlic and ground ginger to the ghee after frying the prawns to bring out more flavours. Also u can add 1.5 tsp of Kashmiri chilli powder to make it more spicy. 2. You can add packaged coconut milk instead of grated coconut milk but the consistency will be different.