- 3 cups Elephant yam/chena (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- For tempering: 1 tsp Urad dal/blackgram
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Dry red chilly
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Freshly scraped coconut
- Grind the grated coconut and cumin seeds as fine paste, keep aside. Take the cubed yam pieces with turmeric powder, pepper powder, salt and enough water in a pan, cook everything on medium flame until the yam pieces gets cooked.
- Add the ground paste to the cooked yam pieces, bring to a boil, put off the stove.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and dry red chillies, fry everything until they turns brown. Add the scraped coconut, fry it until it turns brown.
- Add the curry leaves, pour this tempering to the already cooked erissery and serve.