- 2 cups Dosa rice or ponni rice
- 1 cup medium Aval/ Poha/ attukulu/avalakki
- ½ cup Urad dal / minapa pappu
- 1 ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds/ menthulu/methi
- Non iodised salt as needed
- oil as needed
- To make set dosa recipe, wash rice and soak in ample water for about 5 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds in ample water for about 5 hours.
- Wash poha just before grinding the batter.
- Add urad dal, salt, fenugreek seeds and aval to a blender jar along with 1 cup water and blend till bubbly. if needed add more water to grind the batter smooth. Do not add too much water, batter should not be very runny.
- Transfer the batter to a large bowl.
- Add rice to the jar along with ¼ cup water. Grind to a smooth batter.
- Pour this to the urad dal batter. Mix everything well till well combined.
- Set aside in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours for the batter to ferment and rise well.
- Heat a tawa, mix the batter gently.
- Pour one ladle full of batter and dab it gently to spread the batter don not spread like a normal dosa. add oil across the edges.
- Cover and cook for a while until the dosa is cooked inside. you can flip and cook it for a minute on the inner side as well.
- To get a crusty dosa, lower the flame and cook for a while.
- Sprinkle spice powder and serve hot with chutney
- Repeat making more set dosa on the tawa.