Mutton stew/ Lamb stew
How to make Coconut Milk
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
- 1 kg of mutton /lamb - washed cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1 and 1/4 cup of sliced onion
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp of finely chopped or grated ginger
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp of finely chopped or grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp of pepper powder
- 1-2 green chillies slit
- 2 strands of curry leaves
- 2 whole cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 1 tbsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp of garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup of thin coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp of oil (preferably coconut oil)
- 1 tbsp of ghee/ clarified butter
- Split cashews as required
- 2-3 sliced Shallots
- In a pressure cooker, drop in the mutton/ lamb pieces, half amount of sliced onion, half amount of grated garlic, half amount of grated ginger, turmeric powder, pepper powder, 1 strand of curry leaves and salt.
- Mix it well, add about 2-3 tbsp of water. Keep it aside for 20 minutes. Then pressure cook it until the mutton/lamb pieces get tender and cooked. (For me it took, 1 whistle on high heat , followed by 3 whistles on medium heat.)
- In a skillet, pour in the oil. Once hot turn the heat to medium, add the ingredients in 9-12. Once they start giving out a nice aroma, add the remaining sliced onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute it.
- Let the onion turn tender. Then add in the coriander powder and garam masala. Give it a stir.
- Add the thin coconut milk and let it come to a boil. Add the cooked mutton/lamb pieces and the the thick coconut milk. Give it a stir. Let it cook until the gravy just starts to boil. Adjust the salt and remove it from the heat.
- In another skillet, heat the ghee and roast the cashews in it. Drain the roasted cashews and spread it on top of the stew. In the remaining ghee, caramelize the sliced shallots and spread it on top of the stew.
- Serve it hot with some Bread or Appam.