How To Make Mint and Chilli Cornbread Muffins
Much as we all love freshly baked yeast bread,this version of bread has been made by Native Americans for over thousands of years.There is no yeast used in this bread and its made with 60% corn meal or what is called Polenta.Polenta is readily available abroad but in India is seen in big departmental stores in metropolitan cities or can be available on many shopping sites online.Buy the instant version if possible.If Polenta is not available then you can use semolina(rava) for the bread. I decided to make breakfast Muffins out of the basic recipe.Muffins are a wonderful treat for breakfast and these contain all vital nutrients the body would use throughout the day.Its a great idea as kids would also want to have them as they look super cute with puffed up tops which would be dripping with melted butter when you hand them over.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Mint and Chilli Cornbread Muffins
- 175 gms/ 3/4 cup plain Flour(Maida)
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 175 gms/ 1 1/4 cups Polenta/cornmeal
- 2 tbsp Castor sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 medium Onions or 2 spring onions – finely chopped
- 1 Red Chilli/2 Green Chillies – de seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Mint Leaves – chopped
- 3 Eggs – beaten
- 150 gms/ 3/4 cup Yogurt
- 150 gms/ 3/4 cup Milk
Steps to make Mint and Chilli Cornbread Muffins
- Preheat Oven to 200°C and line a muffin tray with 6 big or 12 cups as per requirement.You can drop the batter into the cases directly as well in which case brush the tray with olive oil/butter/cooking spray.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl.Add the polenta,sugar,salt,chopped mint,onion and chillies.
- In another bowl or jug mix together the yogurt and milk and break eggs into the jug as well.Whisk till well blended.Now pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix with the whisk till thoroughly incorporated.
- Do not over mix as the muffins will not rise to the full length.
- Spoon the batter to 3/4 of each cup and bake for 18-20 minutes till firm on top and a skewer or knife inserted inside comes out clean.Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with plain or herbed butter/cheese or cream cheese for a great breakfast!