Three layered Sandwich Dhokla
How to make Garam Masala
- 2 cup Rice ( any )
- 1 cup urad daal
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of bi co soda
- 1 tsp. oil
- Pinch if citric acid
- 1/2 cup green coriander and mint chutney
- 1/4 cup garlic chutney + 2 tsp. grated jaggery and mix well
- Chana daal filling :-
- 1/2 cup boiled chana daal ( dry )
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. crushed green chilli and ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp.lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- Vaghar :-
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp. mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Batter :- Clean, and soak rice and daal separate for 8-10 hours or over night. Next morning grind daal and rice ( like idly batter ). Mix both and add salt. Leave the batter to ferment in a warm area. ( Mine takes almost 24 hours )
- Chana daal filling Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds. Once they crackle ginger and chilli, fry for few seconds and add boiled daal. Add other masala and cook for few minutes. Add lemon juice and switch off the heat.
- Sandwich Dhokla Once you are ready to prepare dhokla, mix oil, citric acid and soda with little water in a bowl and add into batter. Mix well, if batter is too thick add little water. Start heating water in a big pot.
- Mix the batter once again and pour thinly in a deep lightly greased plate . Steam over water about 15-20 minutes.Pierce knife, and check, should come out clean if done. Leave it to cool little.
- Steam one more plate of dhokla, so now you'll have 2 dhokla plate. Once they cooled, take sharp knife and make a cut right in between of dhokla plate, so you'll have now 2 half round( like half moon).
- Slowly with the help of big spatula lift both half round shape dhokla. Follow same procedure with other dhokla plate too. Now you will have 4 half round shape dhokla discs.
- Take flat plate or wooden chopping board, gently lift one half dhokla disc and lay it on the board. Rough side up, now spread green chutney, gently lift another half dhokla disk and place on the green chutney.
- Gently press it down with the rolling pin, now spread chana daal filling and take third dhokla disc and place it on the chana daal filling. Once again press it down with the rolling pin.
- Now spread garlic chutney evenly and place last ( fourth ) dhokla disc and place it on the garlic chutney. Once again press it down with the rolling pin ( very gently ) and make sure filling doesn't come out.
- Now with the sharp knife cut the layered dhokla in to square shape. Make vaghar by heating oil, add mustard seeds once they crackle add hing.
- and pour over the dhokla pieces. Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve with tea. Enjoy !