How To Make Panang Curry with Chicken~from scratch!
A spicy, hot curry that pairs beautifully with rice.Panang curry gets its name from the Malaysian Island of Panang.It is quite similiar to Thai red curry except that its creamier from the use of peanuts.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Panang Curry with Chicken~from scratch!
How to make Coconut Milk
Ingredients to make Panang Curry with Chicken~from scratch!
- 500gms boneless Chicken, sliced
- 1 can coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 10 Thai Basil leaves
- Cashewnuts/peanuts- 1/4 cup, chopped
- Red chillies- sliced, for garnish
- For the Panang curry paste-
- 4 Dried red chillies
- 2 Lemongrass stalks
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 2 chopped peeled fresh or frozen galangal
- 1 large spring onion, chopped
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- 5-6 Kaffir lime leaves
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Panang Curry with Chicken~from scratch!
- For the panang curry paste- Soak the chillies in a little hot water for half an hour. Add all the other ingredients as well as the chillies into a food processor and process till smooth but chunky. Can be stored in the fridge.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil and add 2 large tbsp of the curry paste, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add half of the coconut milk and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken along with the remaining coconut milk and cook covered on low heat till chicken is done.
- Uncover and add the basil leaves as well as the cashews/peanuts.
- Season and adjust salt.
- Serve garnished with some sliced red chillies and some freshly boiled sticky rice.