Victoria Sponge Cake
- 150gms All purpose Flour(maida)
- 150gms Powdered Sugar
- 150 gms Unsalted Butter(softened)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 100 ml Cream
- 1/2 cup Strawberry/Raspberry jam
- Little Icing sugar for dusting on top
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 180 deg. C. Grease and line two 8 inch pans. Make sure all the ingredients are at room temp.
- In a large clean bowl, cream the butter and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Sieve flour along with the baking powder and salt. Fold into the batter with a light hand.
- Divide the batter evenly into the two lined pans and bake for about 30 minutes or till golden on top and springy to the touch, ensure that a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then invert on wire racks and let cool completely. Meanwhile whip the cream and keep aside.
- To assemble- Spread the bottom half of the cake with the layer of cream, spread jam thickly on top and sandwich with the other half of the cake.
- Dust with the icing sugar, slice and serve with tea/coffee.