How To Make Kulich : Russian Easter Cake
A yeasted cake that's filled with raisins and almond
- Prep Time2Hours
- Cook Time60mins
Ingredients to make Kulich : Russian Easter Cake
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup warm milk
- 20 grams dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100 grams butter
- 5 egg yolks
- For the icing:
- 2 cups icing sugar sifted
- 3 -4 tblsp milk
Steps to make Kulich : Russian Easter Cake
- Soak 1/2 cup raisins in 1/2 cup vodka for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve the vodka.
- In a separate bowl combine 1 cup warm milk with the dried yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes until it is nice and foamy.
- Combine 4 cups plain flour, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix in the yeast mixture with the reserved vodka, the egg yolks and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence. Knead for 10 minutes. Knead in the butter as well.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Punch down the dough. Knead in slivered almonds and raisins. Place in a greased bread pan. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes. Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool the cake. Meanwhile combine the icing sugar and milk together to make a thick paste. Pour over the cake when just ready to eat.