How To Make Chicken Karaage with Wasabi Mayonnaise
A crispy Japanese Chicken snack served with Wasabi Mayonnaise.
- Prep Time15mins
- Cook Time20mins
Key ingredients for Chicken Karaage with Wasabi Mayonnaise
Ingredients to make Chicken Karaage with Wasabi Mayonnaise
- Vegetable oil- as required for deep frying
- Chicken thighs, boneless, skinless- 500 gm. cut into 3 cm pieces or long strips
- Ginger, grated- 01 tbsp
- Garlic, grated- 02 cloves
- Light Soy sauce- 02 tbsp
- Sake, Japanese rice wine- 1 and ½ tbsp
- Grain sugar- 1 and ½ tbsp
- Potato starch- 130 to150 gm
- Finely chopped parsley-04 sprigs, to garnish
- Wasabi Mayonnaise Ingredients:
- Powdered wasabi- ½ tsp. mixed with ½ tsp. water or Wasabi paste- ½ tsp
- Lemon juice- ½ tsp
- Mayonnaise- 1/3 rd cup
Steps to make Chicken Karaage with Wasabi Mayonnaise
- In a glass bowl add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sake and sugar and whisk to combine. Add the chicken, then stir to coat evenly.
- Cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 01 hour. Drain the chicken from the excessive marinade.
- Add 1 inch of vegetable oil to a heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil on a medium-high heat (when the oil is ready, a cube of bread turns golden in 20 seconds). Line a wire rack with 02 sheets of paper towels and keep your tongs ready.
- Put the potato starch in a bowl. Add a handful of chicken to the potato starch and toss to coat each piece evenly. Shake off the excess of potato starch.
- Fry the chicken in batches until medium brown and the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the fried chicken to the paper towel to remove excess of oil.
- If you want the chicken to stay crispy longer, cool off the chicken and you can refry the chicken a second time, until it's a little darker color.
- To prepare the wasabi mayonnaise, combine the Wasabi mixture / Wasabi paste, lemon juice, and mayonnaise in a small glass bowl, stir well to combine.
- Store, covered with cling wrap, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley accompanied with Wasabi Mayonnaise.
My Tip: You may add ½ tsp. of Cilantro puree to give it more flavor and a beautiful green colour. You may also add freshly ground black pepper to the marinade- ¼ th tsp. to make the chicken more spicy. You may increase or decrease the quantity of potato starch, if required.