Fried Chicken Empanadas
Homemade Chicken Stock
- For the empanada dough:
- 150 grams all-purpose flour
- 100 grams whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) warm water
- 1/4 cup less 1 tablespoon (50 ml) of olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- For the chicken filling
- 75 grams peas
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 a chicken stock cube
- 2 chicken breast, poached in a liquid with garlic, onions, peppercorns, cloves and a bay leaf.
- For the dough: Sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the middle and add all the ingredients (you should break the fresh yeast as much as possible).
- Mix with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients have been incorporated Turn dough onto your counter and knead for 8 minutes
- Make a ball and allow to rise covered with a cloth for about half an hour before using. Once risen, turn the dough back into a floured counter and cut it in half. Cover one half with the napkin to prevent drying
- Spread the other half of the dough using a rolling pin. You can use a piece of wax paper over the counter, it will make it easier to move the dough around. Depending on the shape of your oven pan or cookie sheet, cut circles.
- Now, the thinness of the dough will depend on your choice of filling and how much bread you like in every bite. For your first time, make it about 3mm thin (about 1/10th of an inch) and then adjust from that in the next ones you make
- For the chicken filling. Poach the chicken. Poaching should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain. Shred once cool Set aside
- Chop onions and garlic. Saute in butter and add the flour and curry powder, add the chicken stock and milk and whisk. Add the stock cube. herbs, chilli flakes salt and pepper.
- Add the shredded chicken.Stir and check for seasoning. Let the filling be creamy but not liquidy so that the bottom of the empanadas do not get soggy.
- Assemble: Fill with 3 tblsps of the filling. Press down and roll the edges. Deep fry for a couple of minutes or until tops are brown.