How To Make Schezwan Sauce
Schezwan Sauce is the magical ingredient used in many of the dishes of Indo-Chinese Cuisine. Magical because this one ingredient can give a spicy and flavorful kick to any dish. This sauce is added to Schezwan fried rice, Schezwan noodles , Manchurian and many other lip smacking dishes. The sauce is best with hot piping Momos and Spring rolls. This flavourful and fiery hot sauce is indeed a treat to the spice lovers. I have followed this recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's 'Khana Khazana'.
- Prep Time30mins
- Cook Time10mins
Ingredients to make Schezwan Sauce
- Dried Red Chilies- 10 to 12
- Finely chopped Garlic- 2 tbsp
- Finely chopped Ginger - 1 tsp
- Vinegar- 1 tsp
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Steps to make Schezwan Sauce
- Soak the dried Kashmiri red chilies in warm water for about 30 minutes. Now remove the seeds and grind the chilies to a paste using very little water.
- In a non stick pan, heat the oil on a medium heat. Add the chopped Garlic and Ginger. Stir well and now add the Chili paste and saute until the oil starts oozing out from the mixture.
- Add Sugar, Salt and Black pepper powder into the paste. Be careful while adding salt, as we are going to add Soy sauce which also has salt, so add accordingly. Mix it well.
- Add Soy sauce and Vinegar into the sauce.
- Finally add some water into the mixture so that it attains a consistency of a sauce. Check for the seasoning at this stage.
- Turn off the flame. Transfer the sauce to an air tight container once it is cooled then refrigerate. Use as per requirement.