Homemade Short Crust Pastry
- 500 gms plain flour
- 50 gms sugar
- 6 gms salt
- 200 ml water
- 150 gms Margarine, softened
- Put the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and gradually mix in the water with your hands forming a stiff dough. Knead for a few minutes, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into a few pieces, each about the size of a slice of bread so it is easier to work with. Take the first piece and roll it out using a rolling pin, fold it and roll out again until the sheet is 1 mm in thickness.
- Begin rolling the sheet up from one of the short edges, gently stretching it longer and wider as you do so, until you have formed a cigar. Coat with margarine. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C. Cut the chilled pastry into 1.5 to 2 inch cigars with a knife. Use your fingers to massage a little margarine onto the cigars and gently twist out to form a spiral.
- Place them on a tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp and golden. Sprinkle castor sugar before serving.