How To Make Amritsari Dal Makhani
One of the most popular dal preparations, the unusual combination of lentils and masalas is what makes it so delicious
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time30mins
Key ingredients for Amritsari Dal Makhani
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Amritsari Dal Makhani
- 3/4 cup Urad Dal
- 1 cup Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Large Tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream
- 2 Green chillies chopped
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Mango powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1'' inch Ginger chopped
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Amritsari Dal Makhani
- Soak urad dal overnight. Drain off the excess water.
- Cook dal, 1/2 cup onion, ginger, salt and 2.5 cups of water in pressure cooker for 15-20 mins at medium flame.
- Allow the steam to escape and add cream in dal . Cook for another 10 mins.
- In another pan, heat oil and add remaining onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies. Saute till onions becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till oil leaves its sides.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, garam masala and salt.Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add the tempering over the dal and cook for 5 more mins.
- Top it with cream and butter and serve it with indian breads.